Wednesday, December 15, 2010

PART THREE

Frankenstein in the movie Frankenstein (1931)

Some themes that are seen in the book 24, have been seen through out the poem. We see the theme of vengeance and fear, when the Cephallenians come to kill Odysseus for the murder of their sons and brothers.  We have seen this theme in Odysseus exacting his revenging on the suitors for using up his resources. As well as when he stabs the eye of the Cyclops for not following the rules of guest – host rules. The scene of the Eupithes riling up the Cephallenians reminds of the scene of Frankenstein, the villagers are in front of the town hall building and then they start amassing weapons to use against Frankenstein. Although, Frankenstein is a book about fear and the scene in the Odyssey is about revenge, you can also see the of Eupithes riling up the Cephallenians as a way for them to protect themselves from Odysseus because they known that he knows that they did nothing to stop the suitors from destroying his house. It can be taken that way as being fear. Fear for their lives.  Another theme that can be seen is relationships between father and son. We see the relationship expand between Odysseus and Telemachus as well as between Odysseus and Laertes. Father and son relationships are important in the poem because names are based on the fathers, because the fame that they acquire gets transferred on to the son and the expectation of better than the father becomes a great pressure in the life of Telemachus and Odysseus. This pressure must have been one of the factors of Odysseus deciding to go to war.
Another important theme I think is karma. Karma is the consequences of your actions whether they were for the good or the bad of everyone and how in the end it would come back to haunt you. We see this in the suitors getting killed after taking advantage of Odysseus’ household and bad treatment of the beggars just everyone that worked at the house in general.
Frankenstein (1931)
GQ: Have you ever experienced that type of fear where you wanted to fight back and destroy something to make yourself feel better? Why or why not? What does this tell us about the nature of humanity? 

6 comments:

  1. I believe that the human nature is designed for destruction. Although it may be seen as a defense mechanism to fight back when in fear, history has shown that we wage wars out of greed more than anything else. The idea of destruction is the reassurance of something being removed from existence. For example, only when Odysseus destroyed his enemies did he find peace. Furthermore, Laertes also took up arms to take down Euphites, the father of the top suitor. From the Odyssey, we see that "peace" can only come from the destruction of our enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had many experiences with that type of fear but I have had some. I remember one distinctly when my mom was in the hospital. It was during the freshman year finals and I was stressed out with the finals and with my mom being really sick in the hospital. I had a major fear of the unknown mostly because of my mom and we didn't know what was wrong with her. I had such huge urges to deal with my stress by destroying something or punching something. And as weird as this may sound, I took it out on pillows. It really helped release my stress and my fear. This situation probably happens to many people for different reasons but it shows that human nature deals with fear by using defense mechanisms like Stephen talked about. Every person has a different way of dealing with stress but it usually helps when I am stressed to use violence in someway (not towards other people though!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think revenge and destruction, agreeing with Stephen, is key to human nature. Also I have never really experienced this myself, but this has happened to some of my close friends. Just like Rebecca, the fear of the unknown is what sparked their “destruction”. I think all people are scared of the unknown which can turn into problems. Everyone likes to know what is going on and when something happens that can not be predicted fear kicks in. One of my friends was walking home and a car stopped her. Luckily someone was near because the car drove off. After this incident my friend wanted to talk self defense classes and other classes to help prepare her if this ever happens again. Would this lead to revenge/ destruction or is it a totally different circumstance? There is a fear which leads to wanting to get revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been so scared that I wanted to fight to destroy something, but I have been angry enough to want to fight. I think that reacting negatively out of fear and anger are part of human nature. There is a natural biological instinct that every person has that tells them to fight for their lives if they are in danger. For example, if someone broke into your house, you would do what ever is necessary to protect yourself and your family. This, is completely natural and we do not necessarily have control over that. When a person is angry or scared they often lose the ability to think and act rationally, so even though I have not experienced a situation where I was so scared that I wanted to destroy something, it is possible that it could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that it's more of human nature to want to fight back when you are frustrated or angry. When people see that something is not going the way they want it to go, they start to fight, hence war. I think that the parents of the dead suitors wanting to fight Odysseus is perfect example of how people want to fight against something because they are ignorant of the situation. The parents of the suitors didn't know that the suitors were taking advantage of his palace and using all of his resources and trying to get with his wife, but they still resorted to violence instead of trying to figure out why they got killed. I don't think that a person deserves to die for doing the things that the suitors have done, but I definitely don't think that just because a man killed somebody that I love, I have to go off and kill them. It's like the quote that Ghandi said "an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is human nature to want fight back when we are cornered or threatened. I have never felt that fear where I have wanted to destroy something to make myself feel better but, I have done things to others to make myself feel better but it hasnt been violent or on the same scale that you are talking about. I like the point Ivan makes with Ghandi's quote. I agree that sometimes we must forgive and turn the other cheek but when there is an opportunity to teach someone a valueable lesson without someone getting hurt, then the people who have wronged others must be wronged in order to understand that what they did was not okay.

    ReplyDelete